Spring Flowers and Bees

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Seville Orange Marmalade



This week seems to be yet another colorful week to me. Not only food, but also my surroundings :)

I am so thankful for that!

First off, I would like to share my last week's market finding, Seville oranges. I have caught their name somewhere in someone's blog, thus I hesitated no more to try these oranges. Then, at the cashier counter, the lady told me that it's very sour thus only used for cooking purposes. "OoOOoow.." said me. Later on, I browsed the internet for a recipe that requires Seville oranges. And realized that I have just bought the perfect oranges for Marmalades! Yay! I have already pondered on making marmalade before and to have come across the perfect one (by accident) is a bliss!

From there on, began my cooking quest for my 1st jar of homemade marmalade. To be honest with you, I have never tasted orange marmalade before!

I browsed and browsed for recipe and finally decided to use this one. If you would, please let me guide you through the making of it that has been modified for smaller batch.

Seville Orange Marmalade

3 Seville oranges
3 cups granulated sugar
25 ml orange liquor (optional)

Directions:
1) Wash the oranges with cold water, then cut them into sixths or eights. Place the pieces in a heavy-botton pan and cover with water over medium high heat.

Seville Orange

2) Bring the water to boil, then reduce the heat. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours until very soft. You should be able to rub the peel to almost nothing between your fingers. Turn off the heat
3) Lift out oranges from cooking water with a slotted spoon, and scrape out the inside pulp and pips using a spoon (with a help of a fork to hold the other side in case the oranges are still too hot). Put the pulps on a sieve (that is placed above a bowl) and press out remaining juice from the pulp. Pour the juice back into the pan.
4) Collect the cleaned peel on a cutting board. Cut the peel into 3 mm strips then put them back into their cooking water.
5) Leave them overnight in order to better release their pectin.
6) Next morning, add one cup of sugar then bring the mixture slowly to a boil. After that, reduce the heat and simmer for one hour.
7) Add the other 2 cups of sugar one cup at a time. Bring the mixture to a boil again. Then simmer again, until you have got the desired consistency of your marmalade. I simmered it for around 30 minutes more and the consistency was perfect.

Seville orange marmalade

8) Cool for 20 minutes, add orange liquor if desired. Then pour mixture into a sterilized jar and seal immediately.

Seville Orange Marmalade

Serves: app. one 500 ml jar.

I did not use any preservatives or pectin, yet my marmalade has the perfect consistency of a jam! I love the result :)

However, having never tried orange marmalde before, I was surprised with the taste. Because I was using Seville oranges, the marmalade has a combination of bitter, sour and sweet taste. I actually find it hard to like the bitter flavor, which is mostly found in the peel. Nonetheless, I still love oranges and making orange marmalade was a lot of fun!

I was also amazed with the fact that Seville orange originated in Seville, Spain. I thought it was a cool fact :)

Now, the best part is, I am going to share with you how I utilized this prized orange marmalade. Actually, I have a very limited knowledge on the utilization of orange marmalade, but I tried my best to provide you with at least one recipe. Any suggestion for the use of orange marmalade is always OPEN!

Orange Marmalade Buns
(adapted from About.com)

Orange Marmalade Buns

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 T + 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup orange marmalade
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

Directions:
1) Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
2) Cut in butter with a pastry blender or knives until mixture is fine, even crumb (I used my hands to mix in butter)
3) Add milk and stir just until dry ingredients are moistened.
4) Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead about 10 times, until a smooth ball is formed. Roll out dough to a rectangle.
5) Meanwhile, combine the pecans and marmalade on a small bowl.
6) Spread evenly over the dough; roll up as for a jelly roll, starting at long edge.

Orange Bun spread

7) Cut roll into 7 slices. Place slices, cut side down, in a generously buttered 9-inch round layer cake pan.
8) Bake at 400° for 30 to 35 minutes, or until lightly browned. Serve warm.

Serves: app. 7 mini orange marmalade buns

Note: I find it better to use only the jam part of the marmalade and discard the peel as I find it to be too bitter. However, if you are using navel oranges for the marmalade, you may not want to throw away the peel.

I generally like this biscuit-based buns since I have developed a love for pecans and orange jams. Another way that I have used my orange marmalade is for a pancake topping. The recipe for a nice fluffy pancake can be found here.

Before I igo, I would like to leave you with a note. Especially for Torontonians :)
My another colorful encounter this week was... the opening exhibition of Afghanistan Photography (Return, Afghanistan) by Zalmai at U of T Scarborough's Doris McCarthy Gallery.
These photographs are truly remarkable! And I urge you who just happen to be nearby to pay a visit to this tiny gallery. The exhibition runs until May 12.

On the opening night, I had the privillege (or luck) to attend to its opening celebration where we were entertained with food, dance, and music. I will be in touch with you more about this since I will be exploring about the Middle East starting this week.

Doris McCarthy Gallery
1265 Military Trail
Scarborough, Toronto
Tuesday to Friday 10a - 4p
Sunday noon - 5p

14 Comments:

Blogger Erin Eats said...

Your marmalade looks lovely, I've never made it before, I should probably give it a try.

5:38 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hi Erin,

Thank you so much for dropping by. Just give this marmalade a try once you've come across Seville oranges. Actually, navel oranges would work well too, but I never tried it before.

5:40 PM  
Blogger Gattina Cheung said...

The marmalade and other food you made all look GREAT! Some ingredients you chose I find very intriguing, love 'em!
Wish I could see Afghanistan Photography ... ...

4:57 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hi Gattina,

Thank you so much for stopping by :)

Some of the photographs are actually online in the Doris McCarthy homepage available in my entry. However, they are in much smaller size! I'll go and see if I'm allowed to take pictures in the gallery. Then post them up here!

8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious! Delicious! Delicious!

I love Seville oranges and often use them in my orange yogurt. Great post!!! Your marmalade looks divine ...

4:12 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Ivonne,

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

5:29 PM  
Blogger Gattina Cheung said...

strawberry,
It's very sweet of you :D And thanks for telling me Doris' homepage.

4:50 AM  
Blogger mae said...

Another great post. Love the look of that marmalade (no preservatives? Yey!)... can i have some? hihi. I have 3 large navel oranges sitting on the worktop. Hmmm.

Those buns... any left?

O/T, have you given the book much thought? If you're not buying it, i'll send you the recipe for the ice cream.

5:37 AM  
Blogger mae said...

...or anything that you fancied in that book anyway.

5:38 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Gattina - No problem! I'll try my best to grab some pictures :) Can't promise anything, though.

Mae - thank you for your offer! I adored that book too much that I ordered it online from my local bookstore! :p

10:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

11 comments!

8:55 PM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

wow! cant even imagine the flavour of ur marmalade........great stuff....keep more coming please

8:21 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

FoodCrazee - Thank you! Glad you liked it :)

I very much appreciate everyone's comments!! :)

8:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ur pics make me hungry.... =p

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home