Spring Flowers and Bees

Sunday, March 05, 2006

Treasures of St. Lawrence Market

Guess what I have been eating for almost everyday this week?
.
..
...
....
.....



Gnocchi a la Bava exactly as presented by Ivonne! And to tell you the truth, I have grown to love them. Wait, that means I was not that into gnocchi before?
Correct.
However, each time I prepare my gnocchi brunch or dinner, I discover something new. At first, I didn't know how much cheese and butter I should be putting in for a single serving. One time, I put too much butter and added salt, that's not the real taste! I've learned my lesson and always try to adjust the saltiness by adding or decreasing the grated Parmigiano Reggiano afterwards. Also, the more often I eat them, I developed an appreciation toward gnocchi. I was just starting to realize how fluffy and slightly (very subtly) elastic these gnocchi are. The best thing is to be able to taste the comforting aroma of baked russet potatoes. As I'm writing, I'm thinking about it..
Ha, maybe I'm just exaggerating.










These two created my all-week-long delicioius gnocchi :)


As a no cheese expert, I began to appreciate cheese more too :) I like the taste of springy Danish Fontina cheese, they are like mozarella, only sharper. Next, I have been having problem with Parmesan cheese block I obtain from the grocery; they always come out sort of weird. I have no idea why, it was weird to me so it was for my sister. However, on my quest to St. Lawrence last week, I bought the smallest amount possible for Parmigiano Reggiano for this gnocchi. Apparently, all I got next was nothing but authenticity :) This is the best hard cheese I've ever had. It slightly smells like the tangy pineapple as I grated it and very appetizing.

The beautiful thing is, these cheeses are eaten at their best with gnocchi, melted!! Yum! If you're looking for the perfect gnocchi recipe, this is truly the one.



Forgive me if my observation is too far-fetched or inaccurate.

These cheeses are truly gems of St. Lawrence market while you can't find them in regular supermarket.

Another treasure of St. Lawrence Market is Rube's Rice that I mentioned in the previous post. I am currently baking my 2nd artisan bread, Hi-Rise's Cornbread, which almost all ingredients come straight from this lovely place. I bought a bag of "unbleached hard white wheat flour" and a scoop of white cornmeal, both were claimed to be stone-grinded. What a finding! Being deprived from good flour (for lack of senses) for a few months, I am one happy girl now.
And, don't worry, I am going to share my cornbread as soon as they pop out of the oven.

My bread is baking and smelling REALLY good right now. It's the only reason I'm still up and awake at 2 in the morning :)

5 Comments:

Blogger jasmine said...

Oh NUMMY!

TAG, you're it.

j

4:35 PM  
Blogger FooDcrazEE said...

u r doing well..keep it up..

2:35 AM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hi Jasmine - thanks for the tag, it's gonna be a while before I am able to fullfil it :p

foodcrazee - thank you!

Tin - I'd love to trade food with you! Why wouldn't I? Your cooking all look wonderful!

8:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been so busy lately that I haven't had the chance to read your blog.

This look incredible! Congratulations on making gnocchi successfully and on enjoying them.

Bravissima!

6:24 PM  
Blogger mae said...

i love cheesy gnocchi - never made them myself though.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home