Spring Flowers and Bees

Sunday, June 11, 2006

A Healthy Breakfast

A Healthy Breakfast

I realize that I haven't touched this blog for almost two weeks, which is quite a long time. My excuse for not writing... A LOT!

First , and I think I've mentioned this, my summer class is pretty intensive since we're squeezing a 4-month long course into 2-month long. The lecture is every other weekday plus a tutorial. Only one course, though. One interesting course, which I bet other food blogger would find it interesting if they have a chance to take it.

This so-calles Basic Human Nutrition course encompasses all nutritents, macro and micro, in our diet along with their basic functions, chemical properties, metabolism, and so on. This course basically teaches you the basics of what we eat, nutrition.

So far, we've covered the macronutrients, carbohydrates, fats or lipids, and protein. I found myself immersed in the reading, which revealed a lot of interesting facts about the foods we eat and about our diet. We learned that there are three forms of carbohydrates, monosaccharide, disaccharide, and polysaccharide. The monosaccharide consists of glucose, fructose, and galactose....

This could go on forever, why don't you buy the textbook?

To make things more handy and practical, I am attempting to present you with some variety of what can be called a healthy and tasty breakfast. I'm going to use the software required in this course to calculate the nutritional value in each of these foods. Bear with me please, I'm new at this!

Fruit Parfait

Fruit Parfait - Strawberry

3 T oatmeal, large flakes
1/2 T brown sugar
2 tsp honey
170 grams low fat fruit yogurt
fruit of your choice, in this recipe either segments from one orange or a cups of diced fresh strawberries

Direction:
01. Combine oatmeal, borwn sugar, and honey in an oven-proof dish [I used aluminium bowl from Chinese takeouts] and bake for 3 minutes at 250 degree F in a toaster oven [or stove]. Watchout, don't let the oatmeal burn. After 3 minutes, take it out from the oven, give it a stir, then proceed to prepare the fruits. The mixture will harden a bit [due to the crystalized honey and sugar] and will make a really nice crunchy granola.
02. In a cereal bowl, pour the yogurt, the fruit pieces, and the granola on top.
03. Enjoy with a cup of orange juice or milk.

Nutrition Value [with a cup of orange juice]
312.5 kCalorie (15.6% of total diet)
Protein 8.84 g
Carbohydrate 70.95 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.17 g
- Sugar 60.99 g
Fat 0.96 g
- Saturated fat 0.08 g
- Monounsaturated fat 0.16 g
- Polyunsaturated fat 0.33 g
- Cholesterol 2.5 mg
Vitamin C 288% of D.V.(*)
Vitamin D 40% of D.V.
Riboflavin 34% of D.V.
Thiamin 30% of D.V.
Vitamin E 3% D.V.
(*) D.V. = Daily Value

This choice of breakfast is a good source of Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and Fiber. Aside from that, it taste absolutely delicious and refreshing! In fact, I'm craving for a bowl right now. I'll see you soon on the next healthy eating edition!

For your reference, here is the healthy range for the macronutrients:
Carbohydrates 45-65% of total diet
Protein 10-35% of total diet
Fats 20-35% of total diet
[This is based on a 2000 kCal diet]

Do I have another excuse for neglecting my blog?

Of course I do! I have recently picked my my 2nd foster cat! Yay, I'm fostering again! Her name is Tasha and she's been very lovely and calm. Her favorite spots include the study chair and behind the wheezing computer desk.

Oh, in less than a month I'm going to be flying back to my ome country, Indonesia! So, I'm pretty busy buying stuff for my family :)

I hope you find this post helpful. ;)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! You clever pants! How come i'm not as clever as you? How? lol.

The breakfast you showed already speaks healthy to me never mind the nutritional facts. But still it's a great practice to start doing it like this for your course work. See, blogging do helps us on our day to day, huh?

Good luck on your text book.

5:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Btw, why don't you submit this entry to Kalyn of Kalyn's Kitchen? It would be great for the 'Weekend Herb Blogging'. A lot of people would like to know the nutritional values of what they're eating. It doesn't have to be herbs you can post fruits, veg, plant. What you know or can get hold of doesn't mean that everyone does so this is a great way to explore and share one's knowledge.

Go on... participate. :-)

All you have to do is put a little note on the bottom of your entry, then go to Kalyn's site and let her know you'd like to participate and send her the link to this post. Easy huh?

5:04 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hey Mae!

Glad that you found it helpful :)
Participating in Weekend Herb Blogging sounds fun, but I guess I've just missed the deadline for this week's WHB. I'll try to make something else. Or, can I submit an old post?

4:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you do a new one for let's say this coming weekend, you can always put a link to this post in your post.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home