Spring Flowers and Bees

Saturday, April 29, 2006

The First Ever! Canadian Blogging by Post ~ Kue Pukis



I can't tell you enough how excited I am right now :)

First of all, the final exam season is finally over for me. Yes, THE END for this winter term. Moreover, summer classes don't start in two weeks. What does that leave me.....?
A room, very spacious one, to do things that I have been postponing since reading week started! That includes cooking more delicious food, hunting for fabrics, reading books I ordered from Chapters and the list could go on and on.

Most importantly, that leaves a lot of time to prepare for this exciting, first ever, Canadian Blogging by Post! Hosted by Sam at SweetPleasures. I am always keen on exchanging packages and writing mails through the traditional air mail. In fact, while back home I used to have some penpals from several different countries. The thought of sending and receiving packages from people around Canada is very amusing!

To me, Canada has a vast piece of land and I am only occupying a very small piece of it. The rest of Canada seems rather mystified to my thought. For as long as I have been here, which is only less than 4 years, I have never been outside of Ontario. I have not even explored the whole Ontario. I wish someday I could go to the more remote area of Ontario and enjoy the view and tranquility over there.

The recipe that I am about to exchange with one of you and share with all of you is.....
Kue Pukis. Now, this needs some explaining, agreed? As you can see, the name of the recipe is not in English because I don't know how to properly translate it. All I can say to you is that this scrumptious snack is a traditional food in my hometown, Surabaya. This snack has always been a part of my childhood. The more traditional they are, the better. What I mean by that is, this is not the kind of snack you will find in a bakery inside a modern shopping centre. They are mostly sold in a more traditional-looking places (read: markets). Either they are sold in a movable carts or in small vendors in the market.

If you ever get a chance to see how this snack is made, you would probably think that there is no way of making them at home. Especially when it requires special equipment like the one you'll see in the recipe.

Lo and behold, these savoury finger foods can indeed be created in your own kitchen. With a mini-muffin pan, you're set to go! The end result resembles mini cupcakes a lot. But don't be mistaken, they are not your regular quick breads! In fact, this is in between yeasted bread and quick bread since it requires instant yeast and a short period of waiting time. And finally, this snack includes chocolate, which goes along with Sam's theme!

Shall we go on to the recipe?

Pukis Traditional

Kue Pukis
(adapted from Kue Tradisional by Sedap Sekejap)

3 large eggs
125 gr granulated sugar
200 gr all-purpose flour
1 tsp instant yeast
225 ml coconut milk, lukewarmed
miniature chocolate chips, for sprinkling

Direction:
01. Beat the eggs and sugar until it is rather stiff
02. Stir in the all-purpose flour by sifting it
03. Pour in the coconut milk, stir the mixture so that everything is well-combined. You will find the mixture to be like a pancake batter. Let it stand in room temperature for 30 minutes.
04. Now, this is where I differ from the original recipe which requires this:



So, meanwhile preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
05. Have a non-stick mini-muffin pan ready. At this point, you may or may not choose to preheat your muffin pan (since the recipe preheated its special mold), because I found there is no difference.
06. After 30 minutes, pour the pukis batter into muffin pans until about 4/5 full.
07. Bake for 5 minutes, or until the bubble breaks like this:
Pukis batter
Then, remove from the oven and sprinkle some miniature chocolate chips on top. Continue to bake for 10 minutes, or until fully cooked.
08. Let the pukis cool down. Carefully remove the pukis from the muffin wells with the help of a pair of chopsticks.
09. Serve with a cup of hot tea. Enjoy!

Pukis with bear



10 Comments:

Blogger jasmine said...

They look really good...I'm thinking a great breakfast food...and snack food...and anytime food...

j

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow!! So yummy lokking... will definitely have to try this one!

Are you Malaysian? My mom is and I remember eating one of these on one of our vacations over there.

PS: Lovely to find a another Canadian food blooger, I'm adding you to my list. Do check out my blog and feel free to leave to note! :o)

8:16 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hey Jasmine,
thank you! They're kinda filling actually :) And you can even have other topping or filling! Like, cheese, ham, and pineapple jam!

Hey Meena,
thank you!
I'm not Malaysian, I live in Indonesia, which is right next to (and under) M'sia. So, no wonder we have similar dishes.
I'd love to talk about Indonesian/Malaysian food with you :)

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ceendy!

Fantastic! I loved reading the background about the Kue Pukis. And they look great ... wonderful picture at the end!

Well done !!!

3:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ceendy,

First of all, wow! i love your new look. Beautiful.

Second, i'm sorry i haven't been for a while - i have been busy designing my new website.

Third, i feel awful, i haven't posted the tag! eeek. sorry - other things gets in the way a lot.

Anyway, hope you're doing well.

6:03 PM  
Blogger Sam said...

This recipe sounds really interesting. Thanks for sharing this with all of us.

12:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

At which point do you put the yeast in? and how many "kue" does your recipe make?

Thank you.

I shall give this a try today.

VZ

5:56 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hey VZ!
I'm really sorry for the late reply. My mistake for not indicating where you should put the yeast. The yeast should be combined with the flour.
If you're using the mini muffin pan like I did, you will get around 12 "kue"s.

Thank you for your interest!

9:16 PM  
Blogger Evi said...

Hi.salam kenal. Kelihatan enak nih kue pukisnya.

5:58 PM  
Anonymous belu said...

Very nice, I like it. I have to cook with recipe.

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home