Spring Flowers and Bees

Saturday, March 25, 2006

My Garlic Turns Turquoise!



Please, let me share my amazement to this newly found fact :) and please, bear with my silliness for even reporting this.

As I was baking my Lemon Garlic Brussel Sprouts, I came across a surprising scene. There were turquoise garlic mince sitting around my fragrant halved brussel sprouts. Since when does garlic turn greenish blue when baked?! Don't they just brown or burnt when baked?

Then... I quickly recalled the grilled whole garlic sold at Scheffler's Deli at St. Lawrence Market. I had the same reaction at that time and thought it was bizzare :) And now it happened right in my very kitchen! Don't get me wrong, my garlic was as fresh as it can get, so it's not rotten!

To feed my curiosity, I did a teensy bit of research. It turns out that garlic does turn blue when it reacts with acid (which was the lemon juice) over a high temperature. Then I left with a big "O"...

:O

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not know that!!!

Thanks for sharing that information ... great photo!

10:09 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Ivonne - thank you! Glad to be informative :)

10:03 PM  
Blogger jasmine said...

Yes, I've had this happen too...but not quite so bright as what's in your piccie. I wonder if colour intensity has anything to do with the age of the clove...

j

10:52 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Jasmine - Glad to hear that it has happened to someone else's kitchen :p The cloves I had was just bought from the grocery a few days before. And the roasted garlic sold at St. Lawrence Market should be fresh ones. So, maybe the fresher they are, more blue-er the color becomes :)

11:35 PM  
Blogger Cyndi said...

Now I can't wait to try it myself. What a cool thing it is. Turquoise. Thanks for the new info!

10:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My word I made garlic and onions potatoes and then there it was a green/blue plate of garlic thought it went bad so threw it out shoulda came here first. Aw well at least I know for next time thank you.

6:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see it's not my cooking. I made homemade garlic bread tonight and used fresh garlic.. my kids and husband thought i dyed the garlic when it came out of the over due to the Greenish-blue color. It's actually pretty cool, something I would have never known had I not tried it. Now seeing that it's just not mine.. the kids will eat it.

7:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SAME THING happened to me last night. I made home made pizza and added some fresh garlic and when cooked out of the oven the garlic had turned turquoise too.... It freaked me out and I was so hungry so I picked off the cheese and ate that only. I didnt take pictures though, cause my hunger took over. My garlic was fresh as too. I wonder why it does that.

9:47 PM  
Anonymous Vera said...

I make flavoured vinegars for sale and last night made one using garlic,ginger,lemon grass and rice vinegar. This morning - turquoise garlic. I was going to throw it away as this didn't happen with the same recipe last year but now I feel happier that it's OK

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home