Spring Flowers and Bees

Monday, June 19, 2006

A Day Full of Wonderful Foods

On Saturday, the hottest day of the week by far, I went to Canada's Wonderland with Mr. W.

Familiar that prices of foods in amusement parks and other entertainment centres (the theatre, resorts, etc.) have inexplicably high markups, I packed my cute lunch bag with a ham-and-lettuce sandwich. Hoping to stop the hunger, thus disconnecting my eyes to look around for foods.

The sandwich looks good to me. And, I've been having it for a lot of lunches these days. I like it best with a lot of fresh lettuce, and mayonaisse of course.

Ham & Cheese Sandwich

However, on this 2nd trip to Wonderland, I have the intention to buy a big bag of potato chips from The Chippery. This one of a kind freshly made potato chips is by far the best potato chips. It's unlike other bagged potato chips since it manages to retain the wholesome potato flavour within. This feeling of eating something real will not be present had I bought a bag of, say, Lays potato chips. As you can see, I very much praise this potato chips. A while ago, I still could find them at BCE Place Richtree. And sometimes on Dundas Square. But they have long disappeared and revealed themselves when I first visited Wonderland.

I had a craving for Chippery, so I bought the 5 oz bag instead of the 2 oz one. And I get to mix 2 flavours, sea salt and sourcream & onion. I found the sea salt to be overly salty, I'd appreciate a more subtle saltiness and more potato-ey flavour. Next time, I'm gonna try the ketchup flavour.
Can you believe it? We only got ourselves to one ride twice and that's about it! Wonderland on a weekend is very much packed with people. We went on Timberwolf twice and got splashed really hard on the splash zone for around 4 times. It was so much fun playing with water on an especially hot day. We got ourselves soaked and had to change clothes. I felt so refreshed afterwards!

Chippery Chips 5 oz Bag Chippery Chips

On the way going out of Wonderland, we stopped by at a candy shop near the entrance. At first I wanted to buy a stick of sour-apple rock candy. Then, my eyes caught the sight of candied apples! Oh, how long have I been craving for them! I can never forget the delightful taste of candied apple caramel I had when I went to Niagara. My choice this time fell to the Super Sour Candied Apple with Sour Sugar. That seems challenging!
And wow, it was sweet and sour like the tamarind candies I used to eat at home. The candy melted and covered my tooth's enamels. I very much liked it and my cravings have only grown...

Super Sour Candied Apple

Since we didn't eat any real meal during our trip, I felt like I have to prepare something decent at home. I knew just what I wanted to eat. Fresh Tomato Pasta! I've had this one before and it was so easy to prepare with maximum satisfaction. I followed the recipe from Falling Cloudberries closely, except I don't have any EVOO handy, so I added squirts of lemon juice. It should taste even better with it.

Here I leave you with the recipe....

Fresh Tomato Pasta

Fresh Tomato Pasta

12 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
20 baby salted capers, rincesd and squeezed dry
1/2 cup extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 garlic cloves, lightly crushed
1 tsp lemon juice (optional)
8 basil leaves or more, torn
300 grams spaghetti

Direction:
01. Put all the ingredients except the spaghetti in a bowl and season with salt and pepper. Leave for at least an hour to let the flavours mingle.
02. Cook the spaghetti in a large pan of boiling salted water. Drain and add to the tomato sauce, tossing well to coat the pasta. Serve immediately, with or without grated parmesan.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your photo of this is so delicious looking. The tomatoes, especially are so vibrant. Looks yum. I haven't cooked anything from the book yet but i shall read it again soon and bookmark a few that i liked the look of when i read it the first time!

10:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ceendy!

I admire your ability to have gone to Canada's Wonderland on the hottest day of the year. You're a tough cookie!

8:04 PM  
Blogger little pomelo said...

Hey Mae!
Thanks for the compliment. I hope you'll share with all of us when you do make one of the recipes.

Hey Ivonne!
It was definitely toasty hot that day and that's why we planned to get into the water first :) After being cooled by the water (or soaked actually), everything seemed nicer :)

10:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home