Spring Flowers and Bees

Thursday, January 12, 2006

LunchBox Challenge #01

Aside from being a student, I'm also an amateur yet passionate cook. My daily life revolve around food. Throughout the day, I could spare quite an amount of time to think about what to cook for dinner, what groceries to buy, which recipes I want to try, what would I like to have for lunch tomorrow... Wait a minute! Lunch??

Back to being a student, I would most likely spend lunch hours at school (except for today) which means I have an option of buying lunch off school's cefeteria or..... preparing my own LUNCHBOX! A student's busy life must be compromised when it comes to spending more time in the kitchen to prepare lunch. I have a bad habit of always trying to make elaborate and laborious food which in the end trapped me in the kitchen. Eating most of my valuable time. I need to stop this! I need a solution for quick, simple, yet tasty lunches! This is going to be hard to do, but I'l try anyway. Today I'll present you with my first recipe for this simple lunchbox dish. It's just my creation inspired from my love of Japanese sticky rice and the sweet Japanese omelette (tamago)

Blanketed Sushi Rice

For the rice:
1 cup Japanese rice (i.e. Nishiki brand)
1 1/3 cups water
rice seasonings:
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tbsp mirin
2 tsp sugar
a pinch of salt
For the tamago:
2 eggs
1 tsp mirin
1 1/2 tsp flour
2 tsp water

Step-by-Step:
1) Wash the rice with water twice, then cook in the electric rice cooker with 1 1/3 cups of water.
2) Combine the rice seasoning ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer over low heat until sugar dissolves. Pour this mixture into the cooked rice.
3) Beat the eggs together with the rest of the ingredients.
4) Heat oil on a small round non-stick pan, cook the egg mixture, 2 tbsps at a time, forming a thin sheet. Cook for around 2-3 minutes just until the omelette dark yellow (don't let it burn or brown too much). Keep doing this until you ran out of egg.
5) Get ready to wrap the rice into the eggsheets!
6) Wet your hands, then scoop some rice. Form the rice into a small flat rectangular shape. Lay an eggsheet beneath the molded rice. Then begin wrapping the rice as you would wrap a gift ^_^.
Keep doing this until you ran out of everything.
7) Arrange your rice pockets in your lunchbox.

Ta-Da...!


Actually, this is not so simple to make..*sigh*
But at least it doesn't need microwaving and makes a really neat lunch!
Just don't forget to bring chopsticks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh wow.. u have good recipes here!! yay.. I'm gonna try them soon :D.. those pictures really make me hungry although I've just had my dinner :D.. waiting for your other fabolous recipes! we are really food-addicted.. cheers, Esther

6:31 PM  
Blogger mae said...

I like the look of these too. Going home to cook dinner!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home